Geological Sciences faculty in the news:
Dr. David Farris was interviewed by WNCT about the earthquake that devastated Turkey and Syria on Monday, February 6, 2023. Click on this link
to watch his interview.
Department of Geological Sciences Seminar Series
Questions: Contact Dr. Edu Leorri
To view past seminars, please contact Lauren Morrison for seminar links
The Department of Geological Sciences invites you to the 2022-2023 Seminar Series:
Dr. Hector Inda Diaz, Berkely National Lab
“Using Long Term Composites and Objective Tracking to Assess The Spatiotemporal Characteristics, Variability, and Future Changes in Atmospheric Rivers“
March 17, 2023, at noon Graham Building, Room 106
Virtual access through registration at: Diaz Seminar Registration
Dr. Kelli Moran, Louisiana State University
“Storm-Driven Tree Exposure and Geomorphic Change: Predicting the Distribution of Preserved Pleistocene-aged Bald Cypress Tree Stumps on the Inner Alabama Shelf“
March 24, 2023, at noon Graham Building, Room 106
Virtual access through registration at: Moran Seminar Registration
Dr. Fikriyah Winata, Mississippi State University
“Im(mobility) Experiences, Health, and Wellbeing among Indonesian Female Domestic Workers in Hong Kong“
April 14, 2023, at noon Graham Building, Room 106
Virtual access through registration at: Winata Seminar Registration
Dr. Solomon Ehosioke, University of Toledo
“Geophysical Approaches to Critical Zone Investigation”
April 14, 2023, at noon (virtual only)
Virtual access through registration at: Ehosioke Seminar Registration
Emerging Geoscience Scholars Seminar Series
A call to Geoscience scholars nearing the end of their terminal degree studies and recent graduates, including postdoctoral scholars: The Department of Geological Sciences at East Carolina University is looking for speakers as part of the C.Q. Brown and Barbara Hedgepeth Brown Seminar Series. We welcome in-person and virtual talks.
We are looking for engaging speakers in all areas of the Geosciences. Scholars from underrepresented minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
What we offer:
- engage with academics, including faculty and students in Geosciences;
- showcase their research through the delivery of a presentation to faculty and students;
- gain knowledge about the University and topics of interest for new faculty;
- meet with ECU faculty to learn more about our programs; and
- $150 compensation (and applicable travel cost for in-person presentations)
The deadline for applications to our Spring 2023 program is January 6, 2023 but we will consider applications after the deadline. Dates and slots are limited.
Selection criteria include:
- graduate students within one or two years of completion of their terminal degree (i.e., approximate completion date of fall 2023), or individuals that graduated recently, including postdoctoral scholars
• demonstrated potential contribution to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through the submission of a Diversity and Inclusion statement.
• availability to participate in the selected dates
To APPLY, submit your application here.
Please share this information with any potential candidates that may be interested in this program. If you have any questions, please contact Edu Leorri.